Social Media Marketing Mistakes to Never Make
We've assembled a list of common social media mistakes we've seen time and time again.
We've grouped these common social media manager mistakes into four groups:
- Bad Social Media Marketing Techniques
- Bad Habits for Social Media Marketing Posts
- Social Media Marketing Content Mistakes
- Social Media Marketing Hashtag Mistakes
Bookmark this web page now!
Before each social media post you make, bounce it against this list to ensure you're following social media marketers' best practices.
And with that, here we go!
Bad Social Media Marketing Techniques
- Don't try to jump on a trend with no tie to your brand.
- Avoid creating content to go viral rather than being true to your brand or tone of voice.
- Don't fire and forget. Make sure there is moderation or monitoring after posting.
- Don't post the same content in the same format across multiple networks.
- Avoid posts that will please your boss but not your audience.
- Avoid letting someone post on your account that has no clue what they're doing.
- Don't ask for votes by clicking "Like" buttons.
Bad Habits for Social Media Marketing Posts
- Don't lack consistency in posts, like posting for a week, and then stopping for a month or more.
- Don't ask questions and never respond to those who answer.
- Don't hit publish before asking, "who cares?"
- Avoid shutting down because you can't facilitate conversation.
- Don't be safe and post the same message over and over.
- Don't be in broadcast-only mode; social media is for engagement and interaction.
Social Media Marketing Content Mistakes
- Don't copy a competitor's post.
- Avoid using poor quality photos in your posts.
- Don't create content for yourself and not for your audience.
- Avoid posts that don't add value to your audience.
- Don't post if your content is not engaging or relevant.
- Avoid using celebrity quotes. Don't be lazy.
- Don't share irrelevant memes trying to be "cool."
- Avoid shouting about yourself!
- Avoid using internal jargon; we won't get it.
- Don't forget you need to credit the creator if you're using someone else's content.
- Don't sound like marketing; sound like a human.
Social Media Marketing Hashtag Mistakes
- Avoid overusing hashtags on your posts, stay in your lane.
- Don't use hashtags on platforms that don't support them.
- Don't jump into another channel just because a competitor uses it.
We offer affordable social media marketing packages.